Tuesday, March 30, 2010

We Love NYC!

New York City was so much fun! We stayed with Dan again in his apartment (thanks Dan)! It was the perfect location and we loved our walks to the subway and up and down 2nd Ave. When we got there, we made a list of all the things we wanted to do...most of it involved food :-) Dan had a great list of places for us to try out. The first section of pictures are our travels around the city and the last part is dedicated to food! Hope you make it through this epic picture journey!




Ugliest lamp ever! And guess who owns it? Yup, Daniel Asay. Dan's friend was getting married, whos wife said he couldn't keep the lamp (shocker) and so Dan snatched it up...oh, it's even worse lit up and in person.


Cool arch in the middle of one of the parks


So if you live in NYC and your umbrella breaks, just toss it on the street. It must be the place where umbrellas go to die, accoording to Matt.










Seriously?!





Some cool random castle in the middle of the block.








The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met).




Inside the Met we saw a bunch of cool statues and works of art. I was pretty excited to strut my knowledge after taking a semester of humanities...I was not helpful at all, I couldn't remember anything I had learned!







Matt's favorite


Matt's other favorite







Some really freaky African dancing suit.




Made me want to go to Egypt for the real thing.




Someday we will go.









This guy makes me happy :-)



After the Met, we went to the Natural History Museum




Night at the Museum T-Rex





Some crazy beasts in there.














Ancient bear






Easter Island


This sun dial was HUGE! I messed up by not standing by it, but it had to be atleast 15 feet tall.

Kinda creepy...






Awe, Danny boy. Thanks to him, we were able to stay for free and hang out with him ( when he wasn't working). We love Dan :-)


Check out these Rockers! Rock Band is my new obsession! Thanks for introducing me to it Dan!



Cool church sandwhiched between some apartments.


Seriously?! At first I thought this was some homeless person's creation...but nope, it's just another convienient place to stash your broken umbrella. Random, right?!



China Town, NYC



Yum?



These little three wheelers were all over the place! I haven't seen them the past few times I've been out there, so maybe they're new...but they were pretty cool!



Someone moving into an apartment.




Subway ride

I love how some buildings are built on corners like this.


Trinity Cathedral




Stock exchange








Huge random block.



Progress happening at Ground Zero.



The best outlet mall ever!




Nasty pigeon! He hung around us while we ate a hamburger and man was he nasty!




Makin' it in NYC!


So we didn't actually meet anyone famous...but this is Derek Jeter's 24 Hour Fitness...



Macy's





Our first experience watching a taping of a show...it was way fun! The head of security was a former Marine too and so we got some free stuff, sweet!


I was pretty nervous about seeing this movie, it just looked really weird...but I loved it!



Empire State Building all lit up.


Random blue building




Cool Statue of Liberty flame handles used in the chapel next to the temple...These handles were used inside the temple too, pretty neat.





Really neat temple


Empire State building, what we got to see on our walks from Dan's apartment to the subway everyday.



Views from the top of the Empire State Building

The Crysler building












SO much fun!









Statue of Liberty way off in the distance


We were sitting in Battery Park and these little kids come walking up and sit down on this bench. All neat in a row, just waiting for their snack...so cute!





Sidewalk vendors of art in Battery Park.



Where the cannons were stored in Battery Park


Korean War memorial


Hanging out in Battery Park

Times Square





Rockefeller Center


St. Patrick's Cathedral...we were there for St. Patrick's Day parade...so much fun!

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Us ice skating in Rockefeller Center



The card says, "Who gets to go to the Colbert Report? This guy (or girl)!"


The view of the Empire State building from Dan's apartment. It was so neat to see at night time, all lit up.


View of the city from Central Park



Cool castle in Central Park, this pond is usually filled with turtles, but we were too early this year...






Dan's cool little studio apartment. How I miss it!



Let's begin the food tour! Ok, so Dan made a list of about 30 places for us to eat at. Each place was specific for certain items. 6 days and $600 later, we had successfully eaten at probably 15 of them...they were amazing! This pictured here is food from the Copper Chimney. We had a mango yogurt drink, garlic naan and amazing curries! Yummy Indian food!



Famous cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery


And cake...


As you can tell, it was delicious!


On Sunday morning, we had brunch at Sarabeth's (that's what people do when they don't have to go to church...)


Matt excited about our upcoming brunch items...


Me enjoying my $5 oj...it was freshly squeezed and delicious!



Our eggs, potatoes, and muffins...oh so tasty!!!




Matt enjoying his free NYC street vendor hot dog. The vendor was a former Marine and gave us our dogs for free...yummy!





Pommes Frites, french fry heaven.



They had like 40 different sauces to choose from. We had honey mustard, pomegranate terryaki, and mango chutney...sooooo good!



New York Time's best NY pizza


Inside was packed, but it had really yummy pizza!


Great bakery for...


Cannolis! Mmmmm...



Jealous mom?




I had to try it because I had no idea what it was...it was not good...some kind of carbonated sweet milk...yuck!




Voted Lisa's #1 restaurant.


Falafel! It was heavenly! There's hummus topped with falafel, that you put inside the pita and top with the greens and sauces...oh my, it was SO good!


Mmmm


Baklava, delicious




Me enjoying the baklava...



An Asay family favorite, frozen custard!



The Shake Shack with the best hamburgers ever!




Didn't actually eat here, but Matt thought it was picture worthy :-)



Sushi, Yum!



Matt with the black and white cookie...jealous Dad?



Me eating a piece of pizza...something I did as often as I could!
Voted everyone's favorite ever! Rice to Riches is such a cool place with incredible rice pudding! Never thought you could make rice pudding yummy, but they did an awesome job!














The pudding...mmmm....mine was honey graham and Matt's was chocolate chip! The serving bowls and spoons were so cool!


My new motto...


This sign belongs at the Kansas Asay farm...






Finally, a restaurant named after Dad :-)


Da Gennaro Ristorante in Little Italy


Handmade pasta and chicken parmesan, so good!


Incredible bread and oil



Yummy breakfast place on a couple of mornings.


Love, love, love pizza!



Junior's bakery with incredible cheesecake, oh so yummy!


For Seinfield lovers, they also sell a Bobka! I wanted to try it, but it was $16!


Cool little crepe shop


I had peanut butter and marmalade...fancy way of saying PB & J.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tour of NYC. It made me hungry and made me miss Dan - not necessarily in that order.

    You and Matt sure are graceful skaters.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've got to be the best photo journalist in the world. The food shots were amazing, and yes I was jealous of the black and white cookie. I would have paid for your chocolate bobka just to see what it really is, and why they would spend the entire evening in shop waiting for one. Elaine was very upset.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, all of the food pictures and talk, mean. I'm was already craving things that are bad for me. Now I've seen more pictures and gotten more ideas of things I would love to eat! You got some great pictures of food though.

    The castle in Central Park, so random.

    You and Matt, ice skating, you guys are amazing! such talent!

    What a fun trip!

    The girls are so excited for you to come! Evelyn keeps asking when you are coming.

    ReplyDelete